Saturday, July 12, 2008

Started With Cells!

It's the end of my second week here at Pervasis. It was a good week this week, I was more busy working in the lab. I did some more assays, an ELISA and some other types. Just to be clear, an assay is simply a test that we do to determine the concentration of a certain substance in a solution. They range from simple assays with only a few steps (I've done one where you simply put the samples on the plate, add one reactant, then read the plate) to highly involved assays that take all day. I'm slowly getting trained to do the assays on my own. I hope that next week they will be able to give me a set of samples and have me do an assay myself to get results.

On Friday, I started working with cells. I thawed some cells from the liquid nitrogen freezer and put them in growth flasks. I'll be following them over the next few weeks, and it is my project (with some help, of course). It's cool to finally be working with cells, and it's also nice that they gave me my own set of cells to work with. It's a good way for me to learn, and at the same time I'm testing out this group of cells to get some results, to see if they're up to standards to be used in production.

It was a good week, and I'm enjoying a relaxing weekend right now. It's back to work on Monday to check up on my cells.

No comments: